Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

First Post!!

So I haven't actually started my ride yet, but figured people might be interested in the planning stages of my journey. Plus, it might be a bit hard to start after I've already started the ride. I wanted to create this to share my trip with all my friends and family. I know some people will be quite curious where I am and how I'm doing as I ride up the coast.

I'll give a brief summary of my "current" plans for the trip. I say "current" because my plans will likely change over the course of the next month or so based on many factors along the way.

My plan is to depart from Fernandina Beach, FL on Oct 24th and arrive in Jersey City, NJ on or before Nov 24th for Thanksgiving with my family. I say NYC for the sake of the trip because Jersey City is just across the river, and NYC is more well known. My sister, Trina, lives there and will be hosting the dinner. Hopefully its good because I'll be ready to FEAST!

I plan to stay with various friends along the way, as well as contact churches to see if they'll let me pitch my tent for a night, in exchange for some service. I'll also be using warmshowers.org and couchsurfing.org. We'll see where else I end up staying as my adventure develops. I'm sure that I will meet some very hospitable people along the way.

I have about the first week mapped out thus far. I plan to use mostly google maps "biking" directions to guide me along. This application should give me the best route to take on my bike between destinations.

I will be doing this ride as a fundraiser for Camp Starfish. This is an overnight summer camp for children with behavioral and emotional problems that I worked at during a the summers of my college years. The camp is based in Boston, MA, but the camp itself is located in southern NH. It is an amazing camp that changes the lives, not only of the campers, but of the staff as well. Working at Camp Starfish played a big part in me becoming a social worker, and learning many of the skills that I use today. It is a very deserving cause and I look forward to supporting them along my trip. I have spoke with the director about setting up a page for supporters to donate and it should be up and running soon. In the meantime check out the camp at campstarfish.org.

In the next 13 days before leaving for my trip I will post updates about my preparations. Things such as my planned route, gear I will be taking, and pictures. I look forward to sharing this adventure with anyone and everyone who follows!! (on the blog that is)

No comments:

Post a Comment