Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Savannah

Today's ride went pretty well. I'm feeling more fit and capable of covering more miles, more easily. As I got into Savannah I passed a bike shop and stopped in to ask a question about a clanking sound I was hearing from my bike. The bike mechanic realized that I had a broken spoke and my rear wheel was way out of true. True is the term used for how circular the wheel is. Often wheels become a bit bent over time and begin to wobble. I had him replace the wheel, but he still hadn't figured out what the clanking sound was. He checked my chain and cassette. The cassette is the part on the back wheel with the multiple sprockets that the chain fits on. He said they both seemed fine, but was willing to replace them both. I replied that I'd try my luck with the new wheel and address the problem later if it persisted.

After leaving the bike shop I went to a coffee shop to try to figure out where I'd be sleeping for the night. I made many attempts to contact someone through friends and couchsurfing with no luck. Then I went to take a little rest in Forsyth Park. Its a big, beautiful park right in the middle of Savannah. I was hoping I'd hear from someone. Still, no luck. Once it started to get late I went back to the coffee shop for some dinner and try again. I heard back from one couchsurfing host, but she already had a guest. This brings me to right now. My fall back plan is to stay at a hostel for $40 a night. It's a bit pricey, but close, and really my only option at this point.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a little discouragement today. So sorry to hear that. I'm glad you had your bike checked out and I pray you have no more troubles with it. Sleep well tonight and have a good day tomorrow. We will, as always, be praying for your safety and adventure! Love you! Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig, I love you, Stay strong and stay safe I am so proud of you! God Bless You
    Aunt Dar

    ReplyDelete