Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Ride in a cop car.

Today I covered about 40 miles before being smashed into from behind. I was just riding along 17 north when a car, going full speed, crashed right into my trailer. I went flying over my handlebars and somersaulting on the shoulder. I actually remember rolling as I saw my gear flying next to me. I stood up the second I stopped rolling and was shocked that I was alive and had no broken bones. Seconds later a doctor pulled up and evaluated me and called 911. I wanted to walk around and find my gear, but he asked me to sit still for a while. A few minutes later police and EMTs showed up and gave me a more thorough evaluation. They even took photos of my injuries. I felt fine, minus the scrapes and bruises, and rejected the ride in the ambulance to the hospital. I didn't want to leave my gear and figured that I'd be in a waiting room all day just to have someone put a bandage on my bloody knee. A police report was filed and there was an estimate made on the damages to my bike and trailer. The drivers insurance will cover all the costs. When everything was all said and done we all stood there trying to figure out what to do with me and my bike. One of the officers agreed to give me a ride into town and threw my bike and all my gear in the trunk.

After arriving at my friends younger brother's place in downtown Charleston I took a shower, got a bite to eat, and called my parents. This brings me to the current moment. I'm debating what to do next. Physically I'm in some pain, especially in my hip and knee. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Bike/gear wise, I would definitely need a new trailer and back wheel. It's possible my bike may have more damage to the frame that I'm unaware of. May also need some adjustments to the breaks and gears. Most of my gear is alright, but some of the food exploded from the impact and made a mess. Not sure how much money and time it would take me to get everything together and get back on the road. This would delay my already tight schedule. I'm also considering the weather that is already hitting the Mid-Atlantic.


The crazy part in this whole story is about 5 minutes before I was hit some woman stopped in front of me with her hazards on and expressed her concern to a officer who was on the side of the road. The officer spoke briefly with me and explained that she asked him to tell me that she would be praying for my safety.

I'll continue to update with my experiences and my decision on what to do next.

5 comments:

  1. Craig, We are so happy that the Lord was looking out for you today. Set backs can often happen, but what a blessing it was that you came through it with only a few scrapes and bruises!! Pray for guidance as to what you will do next. I hope you are able to get your bike fixed and then you can determine what to do next. Love you and we are praying for your safety and adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig, Glad your ok, God is looking out for you, after all, you are doing his work. That said, you Feltons are pretty resilent, Just ask your Dad! lol. Glad your OK and hope you can finish whatever you decide to do.

    Ken Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Craig,

    My husband Bryan and I just learned about your tour through Frank Zangara, the bike cop from NJ with the blog on crazyguyonabike. We are so sad to hear of your crash. We met Frank 2 years ago in NJ on our first bicycle tour. We are now on the road again. At the moment we are in Cumberland, MD on the C&O Canal Path. We will eventually be picking up the ACA route south from DC to Florida.

    We have noticed on this time on the road that drivers are more distracted than ever-due to more cell phones, and general anger about sharing the road with cyclists. People are in such a rush.

    We wish you a quick recovery from your crash and that your bike can be repaired. We will be sending positive thoughts your way.

    Perhaps we will end up meeting up along the way in the next few weeks provided everything comes together for you. Keep us posted of your whereabouts. We'd love to meet up.

    Our blog is www.thrubike.net and our email thrubike@gmail.com

    Best wishes and stay safe,
    Debi and Bryan Waters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig, I just heard about your accident. Thank God your ok. Whenever we do something worth wild we run into bumps along the way. God has a way of making good things happen. My church prayed with me today and I put in prayer request from Joyce Meyer's Ministries. I love you so much and I am so proud of you.
    Aunt Dar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craig, I picked up your story from the reference to that car running you down in "Finishing A Dream". I hope your personal injuries are skin deep; your damaged equipment is paid for by the driver; and you're back on the road in a few days. Use the recovery time to post some photos!

    I'm not sure why you'd choose to ride the congested eastern coast, but I'll follow your blog, and maybe understand!

    Best of luck in getting back on the road soon!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete