Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Friday, October 14, 2011

My Wheels!!


Here is the bike I will ride. It's a Schwinn from the 80's that I got from my parents back in college. It's a fantastic bike! I've brought it with me everywhere I've lived since moving away from home, and have ridden it many miles. It's been through multiple adjustments and new parts. I've made some additions and changed a few things to prepare for the trip.

Today I replaced the back tire and tube and the grip tape on the handle bars. The new grip tape has more cushion and will give me a better grip. As you can see, I also have added a mirror at the end of my left handle bar, a headlight and taillight, bike computer, extra water bottle to stay hydrated, U-lock, and seat bag with extra tubes and patch kit. I replaced the seat with the one I originally had on my mountain bike, hoping it's a little more comfortable. I also have a gel cushion that fits over it. I've heard that it's inevitable that your butt hurts after hours of riding. Lastly, I also took the toe cages off my mountain bike pedals put them on this bike. This should help my pedal efficiency.

I recently made adjustments to my breaks and gears to have them in working order. I will be taking a small tool kit with me to fine tune along the way and make any repairs. I should be prepared for most minor problems, but will be passing bike shops along the way for additional parts, repairs, or support.

My next post will include my trailer and the gear that I'll be taking with me.

1 comment: