Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Friday, October 28, 2011

Turnaround night!!!

So when I wrote last nights blog I was quite discouraged. I thought all of my possible connections had failed. I went to the hostel around 9:30 and spoke with the man about staying there and he said he would need an answer by 10:30. I felt a lot of energy since I just left the coffee shop and it was a beautiful night. I decided that only my electronic options had been exhausted, and I still had good old face to face encounters. Savannah is a great city full of young, active, and friendly people.

I had to work up the guts, but I began to ride around and stop people who looked friendly. I'd briefly share my story and then ask if they were aware of anywhere I could sleep for the night. After just a few friendly encounters I had success! I was riding my bike along and someone called out, "Hey pedicab man!" This is a bit of a coincidence because I used to be a pedicab driver in Columbia, MO. For anyone who doesn't know what a pedicab is, check out this link http://www.pedicab.com/pedicabs-classic-pedicab.html. Back to the story. So I stopped and gave my spiel. Right away, my new friend Ricky, offered for me to stay at her place. I chatted with them for a while as I told them more about myself and my trip, and learned that the group of friends were on a benefit pub crawl for the local humane society. Ricky offered for me to go back to her place to get a shower, then we'd decide what to do next. After my shower we played with Ricky's new pet bunny, Pig. Two of my other new friends, Sarah and Robert decided to go home, but Ricky and I went downtown to check out a show. We went to the Jinx in downtown Savannah. They had some "hardcore" bands playing. Not my typical genre of music, but I enjoyed it. When we returned I slept on the couch known as the, "black hole." I learned why soon after I laid down. So my once discouraging evening turned into an exciting night of new friends and experiences. I learned that phones and internet aren't the only way to make new friends and find a place to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait till i get to do some more traveling! God is definitely using you to witness to people through this experience! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete