Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dead End? Not for me

So it had started raining at around 2:00 in the afternoon. It had let up just a bit a few times throughout the day, but otherwise was pretty consistent. I was in full rain gear and trying to make it to Fayetteville, NC. At the time I had nowhere to sleep for the night. The night before I had sent out about 5 requests on couchsurfing and had already heard from two people who were unable to host me for the night. I had stopped in a small town called Tar Heel, hoping to find some internet access to work out a back up plan. It was 4:30 and I was beginning to think I may not even make it all the way in the light. I spoke with a couple nice farmers at a Subway and they encouraged me to get on the road because there wasn't much to offer until reaching Fayetteville. It was another 25 miles. I decided to press on and hope something would work out. I was riding up 87 North and Google Maps gave me a bike route that took me on a side road. I decided to take it because there was much less traffic and it was already dark, not to mention raining pretty hard. This back road led through a nature preserve then past a huge industrial park. The road itself turned to the left to meet back up with 87 North, but my route was telling me to continue forward. The road was blocked off to vehicles, but seemed fine to bike on. I went ahead. It was an old asphalt road and had cracks everywhere. It was dark and rainy and I couldn't see very far ahead of me. It was a big hill down and I just went for it. It was pretty fun, but also scary. The hill was pretty long the flattened out for a while at the bottom. A little further down I came to a chain link fence with barbed wire across the top. I was thinking, where the heck am I, and there is no way I'm going back up that hill!!! I explored the fence and it was only intended to block the road, so it went about 15 feet on either side of the road. It was pretty heavily wooded and on a hill, so I had to take my trailer off my bike and take them each around separately. Remember, this was all in the rain in the dark. Once I finally made it around I received a text from someone on couchsurfing! It was Kevin and he was offering to put me up for the night in Fayetteville. He even offered to come pick me up! I rode up the road about 2 more miles to get to a good meeting place and he came to get me about 20 minutes later. Thank God he was able to host me, not to mention come pick me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment