Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Ive been couch surfing

Since leaving McClellanville two days ago I've have two quite interesting days. Yesterday I rode 67 miles up to Myrtle Beach, and today 45 to Tabor City, NC. That's right, finally made it through South Carolina. I've been meaning to update the blog, but it's been hard to find the time and access. I have some pictures to post, but they are on my phone and I can't get them on this post. I'll try to get them up tomorrow.

Riding up to Myrtle Beach was my longest ride of the trip. My ride started off with some very nice country roads through rural South Carolina, then through some small coastal towns before getting to the hectic, touristy Myrtle Beach area. I did at one point pick up an East Coast Greenway trail. It was a beautiful paved trail that led through the woods parallel to the main road. To finish the ride, I had about 3 miles on a busy road with a small shoulder. I stayed with a friend I met on couchsurfing.org, Kyle. I had mentioned to him earlier in the day that I'd like to try to catch the Buffalo Sabres game that night. When I got there he had a room for me and had already made plans to go out with two of his friends to Buffalo Wild Wings for the game. It was a great night, but I was exhausted by the time we got back home. Kyle is a fellow cyclist so he was especially helpful in helping me to prepare and power up for my next ride. Thanks Kyle.

I got a little later start this morning than I planned. I hoped to make it about 10 miles further than I did. Once getting on the road it was quite busy, but I was able to ride on the sidewalk. I typically go by the rule, sidewalks are for walking, and road are to be shared with cyclists. After being hit by a car and the fact that I'm pulling a child trailer, whether it has a child or not, I'm happy to ride on sidewalks any chance I get, especially when it's a busy road. I stopped by a McDonalds to get some wifi access and look at my route and make some calls to figure out where I'd be staying for the night. I called various churches in Chadbourn, NC, but had no answers. I left messages, but never heard back. I sent a couchsurfing request to a man in Taber City as a back up plan if nothing else worked out. While doing all of this, I got some helpful directions from an employee, Donovan. Thanks Donovan. After spending more time there then intended, I was back on the road. Again, I had to ride on a busy road with a small shoulder. I tried to stay as far to the side as possible, but I still held up traffic. I felt bad. It's frustrating because I have to focus so hard on staying right on the edge and keep an eye on the cars coming up from behind. After a while on that road I received a call from Nick, the couchsurfing host I had emailed earlier. I was thankful because the chance of making it to Chadbourn before nightfall was lessening. I accepted the offer to crash at his place for the night. The remainder of the ride there was all back country roads. One was even a dirt road. I had to had to have seen at least 30 dogs. Only a few chased me, but I got a rush of adrenaline and was able to get away.

I was so happy to arrive at Nick's place in Tabor City. I got a nice warm shower and filling dinner. Nick is an organic farmer and hosts WWOOFers who are volunteers who come to work on his farm in exchange for a place to live and food to eat. WWOOF stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms. He has chickens, geese, turkeys, and a vegetable garden on his farm. Maybe more that I'm unaware of. It's a great place to crash for the night, and another awesome experience on my ride. To top it off he offered to make pancakes in the morning before I leave for my ride. I've been craving pancakes for like the last 6 days!!!

Tomorrow will be a challenging day. I plan on making it to Fayetteville, NC, which will be about 70 miles. I'm trying to make it to Raleigh, NC on Saturday. I'm going to visit an old hockey buddy from home, Patrick. Saturday is my birthday, and Sunday we have big plans to watch the Bills game. Can't wait to get there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment