Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Resupply time


I was sad to leave Raleigh after the relaxing weekend, but excited to continue on. Despite a lot of hills, Raleigh was a very bike friendly city. There were many streets with bike lanes and greenway paths through the woods. Less than a mile away from my starting point I picked up a path through the woods. However I couldn't find the entrance. Here is a picture of what I had to haul my bike and trailer through to finally get to the path. It was a hassle, but worth it.


After making it down to the path I discovered that it was not paved. The ground was a bit soft, but covered with pine needles. It slowed me down a little, but I was still able to continue. It was really pretty. A little further down I passed this lake.


I was able to ride on paths through the majority of Raleigh. It was fantastic. There were so many friendly people out too. I ended up stopping to chat with a few people and talked a bit about my adventure. I passed them a business card to check out my blog. The paths had a variety of cool tunnels and bridges too. Here is another picture.

It took me until about lunch time to get to the outskirts of Raleigh. Once I did I stopped into a grocery store and picked up some sushi for lunch. Chef's special, smoked salmon! Delicious. From there it was mostly back country roads for the majority of the ride. Because I had a bit of a late start I ended up riding about the last 45 min in the dark. I finally arrived at my destination, Henderson, NC. Total milage for the day, 52.

There I met my good friend from Florida, Kelly. He recently moved up to Charlotte and I had packed a resupply packaged and sent it with him. In the resupply I had extra food and a warm fleece. He drove out to Henderson to meet me so we split a hotel room for the night. First hotel stay of the trip for me. We shared some pizza and a few drinks while we watched the Monday Night Football game. It was a good night. Here is a picture of Kelly and I before I left the next morning. We had taken a few pictures and agreed this would be the best for the post.


No comments:

Post a Comment