Mile Tracker

Mile Count = 1003
Funds Raised = $765

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Short, Easy Day


Yesterday I rode from Elkton, MD to Wilmington, DE. A measly 16 miles. I slept in and then had some breakfast with Steffi, the friend of the guy I was couchsurfing with. We went out to IHOP. It was delicious. Afterwards I took my time getting ready and left a little later in the afternoon. I quickly crossed the DE border. Here is the welcome sign.


Shortly after passing that sign, I came across this one. I actually passed it at first, but went back because I was impressed by the "Bicycle Friendly Community" sign.


It was a nice ride through Newark. There was a nice paved trail that basically went around downtown and through part of the campus of University of Delaware. It was a nice campus, and definitely bike friendly. After getting through Newark, I traveled mostly on one road to get to Wilmington. Once I was close, I came to a big bridge that didn't seem to safe. Again there were no shoulders. My directions sent me on some strange side streets that took me under it. This is what I ended up having to cross. I'm getting used to hauling my bike and trailer through crazy off road trails and obstacles.


After only about an hour and a half ride I was at my destination in Wilmington. Again I couchsurfed and was hosted by Lunar and Andrew. They were great hosts and we watched some interesting films and had some good conversation during the evening.

Today I ride up to Philly where I'll be staying with a friend from Outward Bound. It's only about 30 miles. It's my first time in the city so I'm going to take a little time there. I'm going to take Sunday as a rest day, then continue on Monday. I only have two nights, three rides, and roughly 130 miles after that and I'll be at my destination. I'm looking forward to seeing my family and enjoying the Thanksgiving FEAST.

No comments:

Post a Comment